Motivation is the drive that pushes us to be better. But, it is something that many struggle to find and hold onto. In school, teachers are the awesome planners that create the environments, materials and plans that get students excited, curious and eager to learn new skills and knowledge.
But once the students are outside of school, are they able to manage, create and maintain their own motivation? How will they feel and what will they do if they are unable to regularly self-motivate?
Find out how to help your students, your children and YOU to find that motivation again and keep it for good by asking yourself just 4 questions.
When did you first lose sight of your motivation?
It's Time for Some Cold, Hard Truth
- Who am I, flaws and all?
- What do I truly want and enjoy in life?
- What is my passion and why is it my passion?
- What are my goals to make that passion come true?
These questioned helped me realize that I had forgotten rest of my identity outside of work.
My tunnel vision of being a teacher in a classroom lead to a gross imbalance in my life, unaware that other things that spur my passion, creativity and happiness also stimulate my dedication, imagination and joy in my job.
These questions made me realize that the missing “something” was consistent self-motivation and an unwavering sense of self-worth.
I questioned myself in everything I did. I lost sight of the big picture of my passion by turning “teaching in a classroom” as one way of pursuing my passion to “teaching in a classroom” as the only way of pursuing my passion. Losing sight of my motivation and self-worth, lead to a roller coaster ride of depression, anxiety and indefinable fear.
Starting Over doesn't always mean Starting from the Bottom. Sometimes it means You're Already at the Next Level.
To recap, this is how can YOU restart and keep your motivation?
- Who are YOU as a person? Be completely honest with your strengths, flaws and biases.
- What are you passionate about? What are your goals to make that passion come true? Be very specific
- Why are you so passionate about it? Keep narrowing down your passion and goals by asking why.
- What are your prioritities in life and what brings you joy? How does that fit with your passion?